Tuesday, May 24, 2011


Tips to Summer Up your Home:
California Style by Liz Lamont

Sunday…Sleepy…, reading a copy of COASTAL LIVING.  All of a sudden motivation comes at me and I am off to set my house up for summer.  It really jazzes me up to redo my house both inside and out at the change of seasons.  Here are some ideas to bring a little California inside your own home.

1.  Start at the Front door - take away the winter scarves and umbrellas, add some fun beachy, lakey or mountainy props (wherever you live) and you will get a fresh breath every time you co me home.

2.   This could be my favorite - I always feel that a Powder Room is the place to let your inner self shine! Kinda like when you become your real self at Halloween, show some great creativeness When the message is clear keep going - I always put reading material in for guests and family to ponder. Small or large books- something to capture their attention- maybe even to discuss afterwards! Here are some books that I love for summer!


3.  Put together some things in your home and Create a Collection.  You may not even realize you have been collecting certain items all these years as they’ve been randomly scattered throughout the house. Gather them! Add some whimsy and voila!  A nod to summer. . Here is a collection of Sand Pails I had used in one of my kids room. In the family room it says SUMMER!


4. Bring out those cushions and pillows for the patio or deck - nothing says California like living outdoors. You have another living room out there.  Use it!  If your pillows are a bit lackluster from being in the garage all winter, order some new covers but until then use some great matching beach towels.   There are so many choices now that can stay outside with out any harm from wet or fading. Welcome to your new room!


5.  For those of you who don’t live near any water, add some touches anyway.  It gets hot real fast now, so have a great jug of lemonade on the weekend for friends and family. Put a bowl of lemons on the coffee table - they may have come from the store but your house has the feel of summer already.

          


Keep California Dreamin’-xo Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment